Hi All! Due to popular demand, we are pleased to announce the launch of our first Discord Bot - our Music Bot. We want our members to have the best interactive experience they can when socialising in our Discord voice channels, and now you can with some entertaining background music of your choice. We hope this addition will enhance the fun you have with your fellow Alithians, and we look forward to seeing you all sharing your favourite tunes with each other.
While we are hopeful that this new addition will offer you all plenty of enjoyment, we are conscious that everyone has their own preferences when it comes to listening to music. So we want to ensure that everyone uses this feature in a mature and considerate way. We want everyone to benefit from the bot, but certainly don't want any arguments or disputes caused by it. Therefore, we've put together some basic usage guidelines, that we hope will keep things positive & considerate.
How to use Alith Music Bot?
Using the bot is super simple! The music bot lives in our "Karaoke Lounge" discord voice channel - so you will only be able to listen to and enjoy the bot, while in that channel. This will allow those members who prefer to chat without music in the background, to remain in the members lounge or other channels.
We recommend clicking on the bot, and adjusting the music volume to your preference
All members have the ability to play songs or add songs to the playlist (queue). In order to play a song or add a song to the queue, you will need to be in the "Song-Requests" discord text channel
Once in this channel, you can type the following commands:
-play (followed by link or search query) = starts playing your song request or adds your song to the queue to be played
-stop = stops the current playing track
-queue = displays the current queue
-next = skips to the next song
-back = skips to the previous song
-pause = pauses playback
-resume = resumes playback
-song = displays info about the playing track
Below is an example of what you will see when using the -play command:
Here in Alith, we trust our members to be mature, respectful and considerate of each other - therefore we aren't imposing loads of restrictions, but we do ask that everyone adhere to the following basic guidelines:
1. All members are permitted to make use of the music bot. The bot can only be controlled with commands typed into the "Song-Requests" text channel in Discord. Please ONLY use this channel for typing commands, and not as a general chat channel.
2. The Music Bot will only be available to listen to in the "Karaoke Lounge" voice channel - this is to avoid conflict between which channel the bot is being used in, and to make sure everyone has the opportunity to listen to it
3. Although music with profanity is permitted as we are an adult guild, we would ask that members be considerate of others. In this spirit, In the event that a member expresses discomfort due to music being played with strong language - we ask that members show courtesy and revert to "cleaner" options of songs for that period of time
4. Music with clearly offensive & inappropriate language (as described in our general guild rules page) is not permitted to be played on the music bot
5. Members should NOT use the music bot to play audio which is not music (sound effects, spoken audio, etc..) Members should also NOT use the music bot to "troll" members, prank members, or to deliberately make others feel uncomfortable - i.e Rick Rolls, parodies, comical videos, etc.
6. Members must NOT spam, i.e. playing the same song repeatedly
7. Members should also consider others, and give others an opportunity to add their own songs to the queue, and avoid "hogging" the queue with excessive requests. As a rough guide, we would ask that members leave a gap of 3 songs before requesting a second personal choice. The exception to this is where there is no other members requesting any music
8. Songs played by the bot must be allowed to play fully, and should ONLY be skipped or stopped if ALL members in the channel agree to it
If you are having any difficulty using the music bot, have a query or want to raise a concern - please contact any of the Alith Officers.
We are looking into the possibility of re-naming the bot to something more fitting for Alith! At the moment it is called "Groovy". Watch this space, as no doubt we will be seeking your ideas & suggestions for a new name!
We hope you all enjoy this much asked for addition to our server! As we move forward, we will continue to listen to feedback, monitor progress, and if necessary will make adjustments to the rules / settings of the discord bot, to ensure it works smoothly and satisfactory for everyone.