Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going

6 months 10 hours ago
Snej
Thank you received: 4
  • Above & Beyond
Topic Author
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4091
So the topic of D&D came up in the FC chat, and it turns out that quite a lot of us have either played D&D or some other form of tabletop RPG in the past (and most of the stories of past games were equally ridiculous and hilarious). Further, more than a few of us who were online at the time are interested in getting some kind of roleplaying group together. But the more the merrier, and so I thought I'd create this post to allow people to express their interest in joining in.

We haven't started talking about which ruleset to use (e.g. D&D, Dark Crusade, Stars Without Number, Pathfinder e.t.c.), when we'll be playing or who'll be DM'ing. So if you're even slightly interested then reply down below, and we can start sorting through what everyone wants. I think for now, if you are interested, just leave a reply saying as much. If you have any preference in ruleset, put that in the reply too. And if anyone wants to volunteer to DM, absolutely let me know (if you'd prefer to not announce that to everyone, and thus commit yourself to the role; just send me a PM). If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask those either.

It doesn't matter if you're a veteran with a bag full of weirdly shaped dice, or if you've never played before. Roleplaying is really just a kind of communal story telling, so it doesn't require any kind of experience. I'm happy to see absolute beginners as well as more seasoned players.

As for how we'll be playing (given that most of us live in different countries), there is a really excellent and free service called Roll20 ( roll20.net/ ) which I've used before, and is really quite brilliant for handling roleplaying in an online environment. It has prebuilt setups for nearly all of the roleplaying systems you can think of too. Discord would be used for preference, as that's the easiest way to handle the actual talky part of the game. Though if you lack a microphone, or are otherwise unwilling to use voice chat, it can be done through text (though we'd need to see if we had enough people who'd like to use a text based system).

I'll leave this open for two weeks or so, so that people have time to see it. If you happen to be seeing this after that point, don't worry about replying anyway (it really isn't a problem to insert a new player into a pre-existing group).

The following user(s) said Thank You D´ohn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 10 hours ago
Alaenoor
Thank you received: 2
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4092
I'm 100% Interested. ^.^

6 months 10 hours ago
Cyretti
Thank you received: 3
  • Party Animal
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4093
I also want to join!
I've got experience in 5e DnD, but only as DM. I don't mind DMing, but I would love to actually play for once (my previous groups never had someone with DMing experience, so I just did it). I've also got experience with the FATE - FUDGE ruleset. I would prefer a classical dnd campaign, but I'm also open to other rulesets. I've only played dnd and fate, but I've read and understand wh40K: dark heresy, Shadowrun and Star wars: Age of rebellion. I've also got a paid subscription for roll20 (I was a Public DM for a while) So I can host the games, appoint someone else DM and then we can use all the advanced features :)
I really hope we can get an Alith group going! Would love to actually play my little warlock, he's been gathering dust for more then a year now.....

6 months 3 hours ago
D´ohn
Thank you received: 0
  • Above & Beyond Party Animal
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4098
I'm 100% for this. Super into it myself and willing to both DM and play as a player. Really hope a lot of members apply, this could be so much fun!

5 months 4 weeks ago
Santi
Visitor
Visitor
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4102
I love Roleplaying !! But I am unexperienced with tabletop rpg. If you wouldn't mind, I could join, when the time is right.

5 months 4 weeks ago
D´ohn
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4103
Hey now Santi, everyone is welcome from all level of experience. I bet a lot of us are willing to help you, and anyone else being new to it. Doing isthe only way to get better at rpg after all.

5 months 4 weeks ago
Snej
  • Above & Beyond
Topic Author
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4105
Really happy to see the responses so far.

Good to have you onboard, Alaenoor and Cyretti. Also, Cyretti, that's really cool. I thought about getting the premium sub back when I played more, but I never had the money to justify it. Looking forward to getting to the the lightning and FoW effects if we use them.

I'm glad we've got a volunteer DM, Rodoet ^^ I'm kind of in the same boat as Cyretti, where I've never actually played as a player, just a DM. I was thinking it might be a good idea to rotate DM's, so that everyone gets a shot at playing, but that's just an idea for the moment.

And Santi, like I said, don't worry about having not played before. Everyone has to start somewhere, and to be perfectly honest, I would prefer to have at least one brand new player. While seasoned players are generally pretty good about getting into character, new players tend to do the most memorable things. So, happy to have you on board.

5 months 4 weeks ago
Alaenoor
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4107
I've only DM'd once, and It was using a pre-built campaign..and I did horribly at it. So I'd rather avoid DM'ing, as I'd just make it boring for everybody involved. :P

5 months 4 weeks ago
Nalroz
Deputy Leader
Deputy Leader
Thank you received: 47
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4108
Haven't played since 1984 so count me as a complete beginner but up for it to see how it goes. However, if u'd rater stick to experienced players its cool with me.

5 months 4 weeks ago
Cyretti
  • Party Animal
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4109
I don't mind being part of a DM rotation, as long as I get to play now and then :)
If we do that however it would be difficult to do a homebrew world, wouldn't it? I would recommend we run with a standard setting like forgotten realms (my favorite).
I've done campaigns before with modular groups, with the adventurer's guild principles (hub based adventures, like in a lot of books and series). Maybe we can look in those directions?
And I do not mind new players AT ALL. Makes it easier to camouflage if you get a rule wrong as a DM (like when I misread the rules for clerics/druids, having my players use their spells wrong for almost half a year before realising my mistakes)
I'm also available if people would need help creating characters, it's my favorite part of DnD :P

5 months 4 weeks ago
Nalroz
Deputy Leader
Deputy Leader
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4110
So do we need anything to play.

5 months 4 weeks ago
Cyretti
  • Party Animal
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4111
Don't think so, of course rulebooks are useful (and dependant on the ruleset) but I've got pdf of all the rulesets I own and roll20 has a free online D&D info library.
Edit: Good news! Looked it up, if a roll20 plus account makes the game, everyone can use the plus benefits! Now it's just looking up how to make someone else DM.

5 months 4 weeks ago
Snej
  • Above & Beyond
Topic Author
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4112
That's fine, Alaenoor. If we do wind up doing a DM rotation, it will only be amongst people who want to do it. I know that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Yay! Nal is going to play. And no, you won't need anything other than a computer and a microphone. When we settle on a system, we'll provide you with the .pdf's you need.

Cyretti: Might need to sit down and talk through a couple of ideas with you. It would be excellent if we wound up with a system that still allowed people to play if someone can't make it, and allows for players to move between groups and keep the party dynamic fresh. Will hang on for a while though, and see if we can't attract a few more people to join in.

5 months 4 weeks ago
Alaenoor
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4113
No need to force people to use voice if they don't want / can't use a mic. :3

5 months 4 weeks ago
Cyretti
  • Party Animal
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4114
I find roll20 without voicechat awkward to use. In my opinion it kinda sucks the immersion and pacing out of the game, since the interface is meant to use along with voicechat. I've done one text based game and we called it early cuz no one was having fun....

5 months 4 weeks ago
Alaenoor
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4115
It was more, if someone doesn't have mic, they should be able to type. :3

I know Nalroz listens to discord during raids via Dis, so I'm not even sure he even has a mic. xD

5 months 4 weeks ago
Cyretti
  • Party Animal
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4118
@Snej Sure, let me know if you wanna talk everything over. Might be a good idea to get all the people who want to DM together anyway.
I'll see if I can find some notes on my old 'Silverdrakes' framework, a D&D setting were all players were members of an adventurers guild. Might be a good reference.

5 months 3 weeks ago
Nalroz
Deputy Leader
Deputy Leader
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4131
I have a mic, just don't discord when Dis is in there, cause of echo.

5 months 3 weeks ago
D´ohn
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4156
Rotating is nice, but if peeps rather play, I will DM no problem. I regularely get ideas gor stories I want to try and run, but I can never find a group. And I rather enjoy newbies, I find it very fun to see peoples fresh experience. Just say when and how many want in and I'll set up a page on Roll20.

I can run a few systems depending on what peeps want. For fantasy, I prefer D&D and can run 4e or 5e. 4e has some great combat mechanics, but if it's roleplaying you're after 5e is the one to use. I can also run FATE Core, a very rules light system. Heavy emphasis on roleplaying, with an interesting character creation system, but it's a bit lacking in terms of clear rules on things like combat, and more confrontational actions, in favour of theater of the mind. Can run most setings in that one, since it isn't design for a specific type of setting. Have always wanted to try out Mutant & Masterminds, which is a system for comic book style super hero games, so if there is an interest, that's an option. And for those into non-ff stuff, like WoW or Warhammer Fantasy/40k I have systems for them, no problem. Always wanted to run a Dark Herasy game.

I'm open for all sorts of ideas. Give me a setting or a system, and maybe a week for research if I don't know it, and we can set something up. Everyone is welcome, new and veteran.

5 months 3 weeks ago
Snej
  • Above & Beyond
Topic Author
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4161
Thanks Rodoet. It does make life a little bit easier if we have one dedicated DM, but if you ever want to switch out and actually be a player, just let us know.

I think sticking with D&D might be the way forward. As for which edition, we can see what people want. 4e is very combat focused (which given that we have MMO players shouldn't be an issue), as you say; but I found that 5e was a better all-round system.
I've run a Dark Heresy campaign before, I actually own the physical rulebook. It is a lot of fun to play, but it really does require that the players are familiar with 40K in general. The combat is quite unforgiving, but it can be great fun if you've got a group of players who are familiar with the lore and universe. (the Pysker random effect table is full of very fun, and deadly, things. And watching people try to roleplay an Adeptus Mechanicus Tech-Priest is always humorous). I think that if people want to play in a Sci-Fi setting, Stars Without Number might be a good option. The rules are available for free, and it's quite a robust Sci-Fi system (as opposed to the Star Wars system, which I really did not care for).

I think we shall leave this open until the 6th of May, and then start rounding people up into groups. I said I'd leave this open for two weeks, and everyone who's interested should have had a chance to reply by then.

I saw that you posted in Discord this evening about this forum. Thank you very much for that, by the way. I didn't even think of doing that.

5 months 3 weeks ago
Cyretti
  • Party Animal
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4165
Would be nice if we could get multiple groups going! I personally would love a simple 5th edition campaign although I'm also a big fan of dark heresy (glory to the omnissiah). I'm tired of fate, since the last 5 campaigns I've run have been fate. If the games need to be set up give me a shout, as long as I'm the creator the plus benefits apply.

5 months 3 weeks ago
Snej
  • Above & Beyond
Topic Author
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4166
I'm hoping that we have enough for multiple groups too. We have six people signed up now, and I saw on Discord that there's at least one more person that's interested, which should be enough for two groups (a seven player group might be a bit too many, otherwise. You wind up with a lot of downtime between getting to actually do anything, especially in combat). But we'll see how many we get, and what's what a little closer to the 6th.

To anyone thinking of signing up who's reading this: Sign up anyway. We want as many people as possible, so don't let that deter you.

Speaking of Glory to the Omnissiah, I'm currently painting up my new Adeptus Mechanicus Armiger Warglaive (waiting for the shade layer to dry on the metallic parts). Not relevant to this topic, but hurray for miniature painting!

5 months 3 weeks ago
Nalroz
Deputy Leader
Deputy Leader
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4170
Given this a lot of thought and decided to step away. I was initially caught up in the romance of re-kindling a VERY old love of mine but I am talking 35 years ago, things I'm sure have moved on a lot from that and I really have no recollection of how it all works (even if back then it was round peoples houses with pen and paper (no internet believe it or not).

I don't want to hold people back and slow things down trying to learn as I go so best if you guys crack on with people that know the rules and systems etc.

Will still be interested to know how its going though when it gets off the ground.

5 months 3 weeks ago
Alaenoor
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4172
It doesn't matter if you've not played in a while, Nal.

I played it a few years ago, and can't remember much about it, either...and depending on what system used, I may not even know anything. D:

5 months 3 weeks ago
Nalroz
Deputy Leader
Deputy Leader
Let's Get Some Tabletop Roleplaying Going #4174
Yeah, I just don't want to slow the whole thing down for everyone, Never used an app, cant remember rules etc etc. Prefer to let you guys crack on and just find out how its going from time to time.

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds